RED------ the BLUE ^^^^’s
START TIME: TheJune 7, 2007 start time will be 6:00 P.M. Time is not extremely limited, however, we will be leaving promptly. Anyone not there at the start time will be assumed to have had to cancel that night.
Meeting place(s):WE WILL MEET AT SHEA RINK. EXIT 6 (ROUTE 37 NORTH OFF OF ROUTE 128), GO NORTH AND THE RINK IS ABOUT 1 MILE UP ON THE LEFT. PLEASE BE ASSURED THAT I HAVE RE-CHECKED THESE DIRECTIONS AND THEY ARE CORRECT. JUST A NOTE: WE WILL BE HIKING IN TWO LOCATIONS. THE SECOND HIKE WILL HAVE AN OPT OUT AT THE HALFWAY POINT. IT IS POSSIBLE WE WILL FINISH IN THE DARK. WE WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN THE OPT OUT TIME COMES.
What to bring:
- Hiking boots
- Rain Coatrequired (Please bring it every week, if only to appease the sun gods)
- Water. At least 1 quart. Hiking will work up a thirst. Dehydration is a major source of hiking problems. Staying hydrated during the hikes will also help you feel better the next day.
- Headlamp or flashlight. The nights will be getting longer, but we still sometimes get out in the dark. It’ll be necessary to have one.
- ‘First Aid kit’ I will be carrying a group first aid kit in case of injury, however participants should always bring Band-Aids, moleskin, Motrin and any other such small items as they may typically need during a hike.
- Toilet paper: There are no rest areas in the woods. J
- Cancellation Policy: I plan to hike every Thursday, rain or shine. Fun is where and when you make it! However thunderstorms will cancel, or shorten, the hikes!
- Risks: As discussed previously, there are risks, from rattlesnakes and poison parsnip to deer ticks, EEE, West Nile virus and breaking your ankle, from poking your eye with a branch to heart attacks. There are also balancing benefits, like exercise and the fellowship of other hikers. That’s not to mention the simple pleasure of walking in the woods! The balance point varies for each person. It’s your choice.
- General notes:
Any questions, call or email me.
Jim Plouffe, Co-leader/LeaderJimplouffe@comcast.net
CELL PHONE: (508) 726-8973
NOTE: TRAIL WORK DATES
- June 2nd (Sat) – NEMBA – Wampatuck State Park
§ Contact Steve Cobble at firstname.lastname@example.org or 781.254.8796
- June 16th (Sat) – FBH – Blue Hills
§ NEMBA volunteer to lead training workshop in Blue Hills. Contact Bob Flagg email@example.com to register for the event.
July 14 (Sat) - FBH - Blue Hills. Contact Bob Flaggbflaggevergreen@comcast.net to register fo rthis event
August – FBH – Blue Hills
§ Specific date to be determined. Saturday and/or Sunday morning. Contact Bob Flagg to register for the event.
- September 8th (Sat) – AMC Trails Day – Blue Hills (proposed)
§ We are interested in providing a site for an event in the Blue Hills. Hope to work with SE Mass Chapter. More information to follow.