START TIME: TheApril 26, 2007 start time will be 5:30PM. Time is not extremely limited, however, we will be leaving promptly. Anyone not there at the start time will be assumed to have had to cancel that night.
Meeting place(s):NEW LOCATION! We will, again, attempt the area south of Hawk Hill.
WE WILL MEET AT THE HOUGHTONíS POND PARKING AREA. THIS IS THE PARKING AREA THAT IS JUST DOWN THE STREET FROM THE STATE POLICE BARRACKS. MAKE SURE TO PARK OUTSIDE OF THE GATES SO THAT YOU DONíT GET LOCKED INTO THE LOT. WE WILL CARPOOL OVER TO THE PARKING AREA ON ROUTE 28. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO GET HERE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
What to bring:
- Hiking boots
- Rain Coatrequired (Please bring it every week, if only to appease the sun gods) (Editorís Note: YET AGAIN! -From what I saw, weíll be dealing with rain. Please bring appropriate gear for this weather, if not for use, at least to carry in your pack.)
- Water.At least 1 quart. Hiking will work up a thirst. Dehydration is a major source of hiking problems. Staying hydrated during the hikes will also help you feel better the next day.
- Headlamp or flashlight. The nights will be getting longer, but we still sometimes get out in the dark. Itíll be necessary to have one.
- ĎFirst Aid kití I will be carrying a group first aid kit in case of injury, however participants should always bring Band-Aids, moleskin, Motrin and any other such small items as they may typically need during a hike.
- Toilet paper: There are no rest areas in the woods. J
- Cancellation Policy: I plan to hike every Thursday, rain or shine. Fun is where and when you make it! However thunderstorms will cancel, or shorten, the hikes!
- Risks: As discussed previously, there are risks, from rattlesnakes and poison parsnip to deer ticks, EEE, West Nile virus and breaking your ankle, from poking your eye with a branch to heart attacks. There are also balancing benefits, like exercise and the fellowship of other hikers. Thatís not to mention the simple pleasure of walking in the woods! The balance point varies for each person. Itís your choice.
- General notes:
Any questions, call or email me.
Jim Plouffe, Co-leader